Thursday 9 October 2008

The Wizard of Oz Ruby Slipper Collection

There’s very little I enjoy more than a peaceful stroll around a department store shoe department and I did so just a few days ago. All my old friends were there: Kurt Geiger, Louboutin and Chanel. As I gazed tenderly at each one of them, a glint of ruby light flashed at the corner of my eye. I made my way over to where it had come from, to be faced with what could only be described as a magpie’s wet-dream. A row of already gorgeous Stuart Weitzman sandals were made still more so through being embellished with (seemingly hundreds of) glittering Swarovski crystals.

The shoe which had originally captured my attention was far and away the most stunning I have seen for a very long time (and trust me, I have seen quite a few pairs of shoes!). Deep scarlet satin platform sling-backs were made even more dramatic with a massive matching bow at the centre. An explosion of flame red Swarovski encrusted both the bow and scattered across the platform of the shoe. Even the inside front (where your toes go) was covered in a blanket of crystals. This was when I realised this was no ordinary shoe.

For Warner Bros. 70th anniversary of the Wizard of Oz, some of the world’s top shoe designers were invited to re-interpret Dorothy’s ruby slippers for the 21st century. The designers included Alberta Ferretti, Betsey Johnson, Botkier, Christian Louboutin, Diane von Furstenberg, Giuseppe Zanotti, Jimmy Choo, L.A.M.B. by Gwen Stefani, Lisa Pliner, Manolo Blahnik, Moschino, Oscar de la Renta, Roger Vivier, Sergio Rossi and, of course, Stuart Weitzman. The fruits of their labour were later auctioned off for Elisabeth Glaser’s Pediatric AIDS Foundation. In partnership with CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements, an in-store gala event was held, launching Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York.

If you feel like having a glimpse at true beauty in shoe form, follow an imagined yellow-brick road to Stuart Weitzman. The ‘Dorothy’ shoes are displayed there, along with a number of other crystal-embellished pieces. There really is no place like home.

www.stuartweitzman.com
www.crystallized.com
www.pedaids.org.

No comments: