Friday 23 April 2010

My Sugarland

Last night I went along to a personal styling event at brilliant shop My Sugarland. Based in St Johns Street, My Sugarland is a much-publicised, award-winning boutique that has been featured in Vogue and, as I discovered, it is popular for extremely good reason. Stunning vintage beaded dresses hang alongside pieces by contemporary designers such as Belle Sauvage, Laura Lees and Olivia Rubin in a setting that truly transports you to a feminine fairyland. Be warned: if you are at all like me then you will ‘need’ everything immediately upon entering.

This was a special event and skin experts Dermalogica (
www.dermalogica.com) were on hand to offer face mapping advice in one wonderfully decorated corner as make-up consultancy Blush (www.blush.uk.com), wielded their brushes and beauty-inducing products at the other.

My Sugarland is run by top stylist Zoe Lem and we were fortunate enough to benefit from her wisdom and refreshingly straightforward fashion advice. In a styling workshop, we were taught the finer points of dressing for your body shape and, unlike many, Zoe believes in only three: hourglass, pear and straight up-and-down. In addition to helping us learn about creating a flattering silhouette, Zoe also guided us to find colours that would really suit. Luckily, we were given a cohesive ‘Personal Styling Handbook’ to take away with us at the end of the session so we could remember all the useful tips.

If you would like Zoe’s advice on a pressing fashion matter then her website (
www.mysugarland.co.uk) features a ‘Style Advice’ section. Information about upcoming events can also be found here.

Now that my body suspicions have been confirmed by an expert (I am definitely an hourglass!), I am off to buy some high-waisted pencil skirts, wide-legged trousers and plenty of gorgeous belts!
One of my favourites: a digitally printed dress by Belle Sauvage

Detail

A fab display


Yummy cakes and even yummier porcelain jewellery



Loved this Jasper Garvida dress-can't decide which colour suits you? Simple, wear them all!





Lovely antique lace dresses




Who wouldn't want to wear this ruffled headpiece? The style equivalent to the icing on the cake.






Ignore me lurking in the background, instead please focus on the beauty of this dress; a size 8 though, damnit







What a cool styling idea - lots of brooches in place of a belt








Lovely old photographs for inspiration









I wouldn't wear it but isn't it pretty?










Fab illustration on the wall











Embroidered leather skulls (I think by Laura Lee?)












Hehe feathered pants













Pretty greeting cards - if you're poor like me then you can still take a little piece of Sugarland home














Playing cards - the obsession continues...















This cushion was a delight
















Zoe offers inspirational style advice


















No comments: