Tuesday 20 April 2010

Speed Dating with Lolita

I decided to make my first foray into the land of speed dating an arty one. Last week the Barbican held a night entitled ‘Speed Dating with Lolita’ not only did I get to see the wonderful Ron Arad exhibition (rolling bookcase anyone?!), I also got to meet some like-minded arty folk in the process.

We could flash messages to our new friends on Arad’s fabulous Lolita chandelier (pictured below) and were able to choose between three sittings of short chats: one for gay and straight people (called the ‘potluck’ round!), one exclusively for straight people and one for gay. My friend and I opted for the mixed extravaganza at the beginning!

So did I unearth the future Mr Slant? No, but the Barbican’s events are well worth checking out – ideal for a fun and alternative evening out with others who are becoming tired of the traditional pub and pint combination.


Ron Arad
Lolita
2004
Edition by Swarovski, Austria
Photo: Spencer Tsai, courtesy Ron Arad Associates

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea of making events like this more successful by interest or hobby. I've recently been to something similar when I was speed dating in London and I would think that it was more successful than just a standard event. Great idea!