Thursday 10 June 2010

Alexandra Collette


There is just one thing I love more than a beautiful pair of shoes and that is a gorgeous new handbag. For my next purchase I plan to buck the boring established designer trend and go for something a little bit more interesting. I have been doing some research and came across Alexandra Collette's rather fabulous website:

http://alexandracollette.homestead.com/index.html

Alexandra began her career at Gieves & Hawkes whilst studying Accessories Design at London College of Fashion (my ex uni too!). As she was working on the Savile Row, she was so inspired by the tailors and their attention to detail that she decided to only ever make her bags in England.

These designs have evolved from Alexandra's personal inspirations rather than forecasts and trends, whilst keeping the Cordwainer craftsmanship alive in the UK.

I love all of the delicate quirks of these designs; the little ties and tassels that embellish contemporary tote shapes framed in creamy leather.

I had a quick chat with Alexandra about her fabulous arm-candy:

What was your main inspiration for this collection?

My main inspiration behind the concept for the collection was from vintage men's accessories. I was inspired working on Savile Row during my placement year there and take an interest in menswear - I like how you can't tell that is where my inspiration came from for my collection of women's bags.

Which material(s) do you enjoy using the most?

I like using leather the most, here I used a luxury canvas with a neutral vegetable tanned leather for a fresh summery collection.

Which other accessories designers do you admire the most?

I love Chanel - although I wish that quilted bags hadn't been copied everywhere in the high street, Chanel however, will always be Chanel! I also love Beverly Feldman - I have some of my mums bags and shoes that she bought in the 80's which I wear all the time and can't get enough of.. I wish she had kept more!

What would you be doing if you weren't designing handbags?

I would do more drawing and painting, something that I love but don't have much time for lately; it's something that I need to find time for. I'd also love to try out Fashion Illustration.

If you could design a bag for anyone (dead or alive!) who would it be and why?

If I could design a bag for anyone it would have been for Audrey Hepburn, I have always been inspired by her and I love all of her movies!






No comments: