Monday 7 July 2008

Neon Neon at Cargo


Enjoyment rating *****
Hangover rating ********

When Neon Neon pulled up to Cargo in the Back to the Future car, I kind of realised it was going to be a special night. Dynamic duo Gruff Rhys (from Super Furry Animals fame) and friend Boom Bip delivered a tantalising performance which got the (over)crowded venue worked up into a right old lather.

My personal enjoyment was fairly clouded at the beginning of Neon Neon's set owing to the personal hygene (or lack thereof) of the rather rotund man squished up next to me. Anyone who says that humans can't smell like ice rinks has been proven a liar by this gentleman.

Anyway, once I had managed to battle my way through the crowd, ice-rink man was left far behind and I could fully appreciate the wonders taking place on stage. The legendary Har Mar Superstar joined the boys, as did the rather lovely Cate Le Bon (pictured left) who features on their new single, I Lust U. The new album, Stainless Steel was inspired by the life of John Delorean, who created the Back to the Future car of the same name. And all becomes clear...

With a funky, futuristic sound, always impeccably delivered, Neon Neon can only succeed.

Now, if someone would swing the doors shut, then I'll be off in the Delorean.

No comments: