Thursday 11 February 2010

Alexander the Great, R.I.P

Today, with great sadness, we say goodbye to a true fashion original. Pushing the boundaries of the industry with the kind of artistry others can but dream of, McQueen made an incredible impact on the world of style. Recognised as much for his excellent showmanship and breathtakingly orchestrated catwalk shows as he was for his bold, unabashedly theatrical, beautiful pieces, his death will affect both established and fledgling designers alike. We have lost an inspiration.
I remember in my first year of university, visiting a department store to gain inspiration for a project. The first port of call was Alexander McQueen’s concession and, after admiring the kind of workmanship I can still only dream of, I tried on a cream jacket that changed my perception of fashion. This was the first time I realised how clothes can completely change the way you feel about your body and yourself. The feather-light wool clung to my curves I wanted to showcase and disguised the ones I didn’t. A clever grown-on waistcoat was finished with perfect pearlised buttons – it made me feel truly special. Astounding. More recently, I have gasped at the beauty of multi-coloured swathes of skull-printed, colour graduated pure silk scarves and marvelled at the construction of the designer’s Armadillo shoes.

Losing McQueen’s glorious work to Paris was a terrible time for Britain but losing this true genius entirely is a shocking, horrible and tragic shame. My condolences, for what they are worth, go out to Lee McQueen’s loved ones. May he rest in peace forever.


Thanks to the following for the images displayed:
http://www.kinho.com/
http://www.stylefrizz.com/


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

McQueen was found hanged in his apartment. treated as suspicious. http://usspost.com/alexander-mcqueen-usspost-com-5488/